Monday, April 21, 2008

Overlaying Textures

I've been looking at a few photos with these textures overlaid onto them and I like what I see.

For the textures, there are dozens of websites giving away textures. Just save it too your PC. The textures can be anything. A brick wall, a close up of concrete, a bit of rust, the froth in the top of your beer... anything. If you shoot your own textures, just make sure that the image is sharp. And try to get it in the biggest size you can so it isn't ruined if you need to stretch it over something big.

I'm not sure of the actual technique though. I've been avoiding looking it up on the internet just so I can play around with the effect myself without the distraction of a preplanned workflow. I don't want, just yet, to be caught up in step-by-step instructions for something with so much creative scope. Press this, click here, slide the bar to this many percent, blah, blah, blah.

I think that I have done OK. While almost certain that my technique has more flaws that an Australian election campaign, I have only done is as the title suggests. I've overlaid a texture, then all I have done is reduced the opacity of that layer so that the picture underneath is visible. Easy.

Anyway, enough blabbering on... let me know what you think of what I've done so far.

Click on the pics to get a bigger picture.





No comments: